Fully exploit the potential of marketplaces by adopting best practices. To position yourself well in these highly competitive marketplaces, you need to establish a solid business plan . In this article, discover 10 tips to follow to gain visibility on marketplaces, stand out from competitors and boost sales of your products.
1. Choose the right platform to sell your products
Determine which platform best suits your needs. There are now a multitude of them:
- Generalists: like Amazon. They are aimed at all audiences and sell a wide variety of products. The user quickly finds all the items they want to buy in one place.
- Specialized: like Zalando (fashion), Etsy (crafts). They target a more specific audience looking for specific products.
- B2B: like Amazon Business, Alibaba. They are dedicated to professional users who make purchases for their business.
To identify the marketplace that has the best potential, also analyze their traffic and their ranking in search engines.
2. Take care of the presentation of your page and your products
Your company page must include all the useful information to reassure buyers: name, address, business sectors … Marketplaces also give you many options to present your catalog. Add visuals, write engaging description texts, and point out any cool product features.
3. Use paid search options
The Amazon marketplace gives you access to paid features to boost sales. For example, you can:
- Sponsor your products: they will appear in the first results when a user searches the site.
- Join the Sponsored brands program: the principle is similar to sponsored products, but here, your products are presented in a customizable banner for even more visibility.
- Get the Buy Box: your offer is highlighted directly on the product page, in the insert to add the product to the cart.
4. Work on natural referencing
Sell more by improving your positioning in the marketplace’s search results. To do this, you must optimize several elements, including the title of the product and its description . Include relevant keywords and present the information as a bulleted list.
Other elements are taken into account in your referencing, such as customer reviews , the presence of a promotion on the product, images and videos added in the description …
5. Take care of your reputation and collect opinions
Reviews are presented in the form of an overall rating , accompanied by comments. They are essential on marketplaces:
- Buyers read them before buying a product or choosing a seller.
- The platforms use them to decide the positioning of your offer in the search results.
These notes may relate to the product specifically or to the seller. Offer the best possible shopping experience to ensure you get positive reviews : product true to description, careful shipping, fast delivery, responsive customer service …
6. Create an Amazon Store
The Amazon marketplace allows you to create your own store for free within the platform. This space is dedicated to your brand and your products. It is an effective way to distinguish you from your competitors and to promote your offer : organize your catalog according to your needs, add your logo, your visuals and current promotions. You gain visibility and improve the shopping experience for users.
7. Attract more customers and retain them
To set yourself apart from the competition and encourage users to order your products, you must offer them an irreproachable quality of service and meet their needs:
- Make sure you always have sufficient stocks , and more, during peak sales (end of year holidays, Black Friday, sales …).
- Regularly renew your catalog to make them want to order again.
- Offer them attractive services , like fast and free delivery.
This will allow you to generate more sales if your product is also available from other sellers.
8. Stay competitive
Observe the practices of your direct competitors to adapt your offer and your services as needed. If they sell the same items as yours for a lower price, that doesn’t mean you have to lower your prices. Check, however, that your proposal is interesting enough to convince customers to order from you instead (faster or cheaper delivery, easy returns …).
9. Organize promotions
Marketplaces offer you many options to increase your sales : promotions, flash sales, coupon code, product offered with each order … Use these options to animate your store, communicate about your business and encourage users to buy your items.
10. Track your performance
Regularly analyze your results on marketplaces. This will allow you to:
- Measure the performance of your campaigns and promotions on the platforms: did they generate additional sales? In what proportions?
- Identify the best and worst selling products.
- Track the evolution of your sales and traffic to your Amazon Store page or store.
- Monitor the ratings: those of your products, but also that assigned to your company. If you see negative reviews, look for solutions to correct the issues raised by customers.
By following all these tips, you improve your positioning on the market places and you increase your sales. The support of a marketplace specialist is recommended to develop an effective web marketing strategy and put it in place. To find out all about marketplaces, read our white paper “How to optimize your presence on marketplaces and increase sales.